Apps for Managing the Smart Grid
√ iCV Analyzer
√ iPQ Analyzer
Keep tabs on the Smart Grid. Do it efficiently. Effectively. Cheaply.
At EPRI (the Electronic Power Research Institute), the ongoing need is for innovation — particularly when it comes to optimizing tools used to manage the Smart Grid.
Let mobile apps be the workhorse.
And in the process dramatically improve efficiency … and significantly reduce costs.
Find mobile developers that get R&D … and hardware.
Apparently it’s a tall order to find mobile developers who are conversant in the language of engineering … and have the the expertise to bring R&D projects to life. Fortunately that’s what Green Mountain Software does best.
And the projects?
Put the iPhone’s built-in audio capabilities to the test in managing the grid.
Like audio for instance. It turns out this capability make iPhones well-suited to measure power line frequencies.… And that makes it possible for iPQ Analyzer to detect power quality problems — before they lead to a major power outage. And for iCV Analyzer to detect contact voltage — before a field worker or innocent bystander gets a highly unwanted shock from encountering a charged metal object.
Use wireless sensors to transmit data to the iPhone.
Sensors track voltage and current — and transmit that data through the interface to the smart phone. Apply a bit of mathematics to that signal and waveform … and the app displays the different frequency components that are in that line.
Take advantage of location-based services to pinpoint the problem.
By using the built-in GPS, these potential problems can be pinpointed to a specific site on the power grid.
The impact? Eliminate the need for single-purpose power harmonic analyzers— at a selling price ranging from $5,000 to $25,000.
Make it easy to find and manage alternative fuel stations.
And it was a natural to think of using the built-in GPS for finding the nearest fuel source for your green vehicle. MyAltFuels is a prototype app that demonstrates just how useful this location-based app could be.
For the Driver
- Find charging stations for your electric vehicles.
- Locate fueling stations that stock hydrogen, biodiesel, compressed gas, ethanol, and other fuels.
- Make a reservation at the charging station nearest to your destination to ensure you have a space
… And for the Utilities
- Upload details about each location and fuel prices in in real-time.
- Dispatch crews to repair out-of-service charging and filling stations.
- Apps that push mobile devices to the limits of their original design
- Working with leading edge technologies, i.e. augmented reality
- Heavy use of iterative prototyping
- Developing custom hardware interfaces
- Working with Apple’s MFI program
- Numerous technology demonstrations